Recipe by Stewie
In response to a request--from the cookbook "Itadakimasu" Tokyo American Club Women's Group. Yakisoba is Japanese fast food!
Top Review by HeatherFeather
This was very pretty to look at, easy to prepare, and tasted good. I did use the tripack noodles with the seasoning packet and did not add any additional ingredients(although I did use some of the optional ingredients suggested by the recipe poster- namely extra veggies in place of the cabbage and I did add the mirin). The noodles didn't heat up much in the microwave, so I cooked them just a tiny bit longer. I think I would definitely prefer to cook them according to the package directions first next time - in liquid, then drain off the water before using. I think the optional splash of mirin is a key ingredient as it adds some much needed moisture to the dish. Next time, I will use fresh garlic rather than the powdered, and follow some of the suggestions mentioned by SueL in her review of this same dish.
- 400 g chicken fillets, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon (instant granules)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 packages fresh Chinese noodles (tri-pack with foil seasoning packet can be used)
Directions See How It's Made
- In oil, saute onion and green pepper; add chicken pieces and stir to slightly brown.
- Add seasonings including one foil packet from the noodles.
- Add cabbage last.
- Slit noodle packets and heat one minute in the microwave (or can steam or pan fry noodles to heat).
- Place in a soup bowl and ladle chicken mixture over.
- NOTE: Can substitute beef or pork as meat and add any of the following vegetables (chopped): celery, leeks (slice thin), carrot (sliced thinly or chopped finely), mushrooms, bean sprouts (in place of or use less cabbage).
- Mirin (sweet sake) optional.
- Use beef bouillon when using beef.
- Adjust seasoning amounts to taste.
- Pickled ginger is great with this dish.