Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
If you love the sweet taste of teriyaki marinated chicken, you'll dig the Yaki Soft tacos at this Hawaiian-themed burger chain. Sure, Islands is famous for its burgers, but many also go for the several choices of soft tacos --
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup canned pineapple chunk (chunks sliced into quarters)
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice, from can of pineapple chunks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 12 chicken tenderloins
- 12 (7 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped very thin or shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned pineapple chunks (chunks sliced into quarters)
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes (about 2 medium tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion (green part only)
- Make the teriyaki sauce by whisking cornstarch into the water in a medium saucepan.
- Add remaining ingredients, then bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes or until thicker.
- Let sauce cool before you use it for marinating.
- When the sauce is cool, measure out 1 cup of sauce and set it aside.
- Use the remaining sauce to pour over chicken tenders in a medium bowl.
- Cover chicken and let it marinate for at least 6 hours.
- Overnight is even better.
- When chicken has marinated, preheat a large skillet over medium/low heat.
- Wipe the pan with a little oil.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade (and toss out the marinade) and sauté chicken in the pan for 8 to 10 or until chicken is cooked through and browned on both sides.
- Slice each chicken filet into 3 or 4 pieces and spoon all the chicken into a medium bowl.
- Microwave the leftover 1 cup of teriyaki sauce in the oven for 30 to 60 seconds or until it's hot.
- Pour the sauce over the sliced chicken in the bowl.
- When you're ready to build the tacos, preheat another skillet over medium heat.
- Toss a tortilla into the pan for a minute, then flip it over and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of shredded cheese across the center of the tortilla.
- Let the tortilla sit in the pan for about a minute or so (until the cheese starts melting) then remove the tortilla and immediately spoon the equivalent of one chicken tender into the tortilla (3 or 4 chunks of chicken).
- Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons of leftover teriyaki sauce from the cooked chicken bowl over the chicken in each taco.
- Arrange about 1/3 cup shredded lettuce over the chicken in each taco.
- Follow that up with 1 to 2 tablespoons of pineapple chunks, 1 to 2 tablespoons diced tomato, and a couple pinches of chopped green onion.
- Repeat process for remaining tacos.
I fell in love with these while visiting Venice Beach last month. Didn't think that I'd ever have them again but was I wrong. This recipe hits it right on the money!! Thanks!!
Yaki tacos are my favorite menu item at Island's so I was thrilled to find this recipe. Copycat recipes always seem to be reminiscent of the meal their trying to emulate but without hitting the mark. Not so with this recipe. It is PERFECT. They come out exactly as they do at Island's. The key is in the sauce. The taste is spot on. Everytime I make this for my family I get cheers. Highly highly recommend this delicious recipe!!!
Yummy! These tacos were so good. I donâ€™t live near an Islands anymore so this was a treat. The yaki tacos were always my favorite.