Recipe by Dropbear
If you love the sweet taste of teriyaki marinated chicken, you'll dig the Yaki Soft tacos at this Hawaiian-themed burger chain. Sure, Islands is famous for its burgers, but many also go for the several choices of soft tacos --
Top Review by cheriebric
I fell in love with these while visiting Venice Beach last month. Didn't think that I'd ever have them again but was I wrong. This recipe hits it right on the money!! Thanks!!
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup canned pineapple chunk (chunks sliced into quarters)
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice, from can of pineapple chunks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 12 chicken tenderloins
- 12 (7 inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped very thin or shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned pineapple chunks (chunks sliced into quarters)
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes (about 2 medium tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion (green part only)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the teriyaki sauce by whisking cornstarch into the water in a medium saucepan.
- Add remaining ingredients, then bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes or until thicker.
- Let sauce cool before you use it for marinating.
- When the sauce is cool, measure out 1 cup of sauce and set it aside.
- Use the remaining sauce to pour over chicken tenders in a medium bowl.
- Cover chicken and let it marinate for at least 6 hours.
- Overnight is even better.
- When chicken has marinated, preheat a large skillet over medium/low heat.
- Wipe the pan with a little oil.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade (and toss out the marinade) and sauté chicken in the pan for 8 to 10 or until chicken is cooked through and browned on both sides.
- Slice each chicken filet into 3 or 4 pieces and spoon all the chicken into a medium bowl.
- Microwave the leftover 1 cup of teriyaki sauce in the oven for 30 to 60 seconds or until it's hot.
- Pour the sauce over the sliced chicken in the bowl.
- When you're ready to build the tacos, preheat another skillet over medium heat.
- Toss a tortilla into the pan for a minute, then flip it over and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of shredded cheese across the center of the tortilla.
- Let the tortilla sit in the pan for about a minute or so (until the cheese starts melting) then remove the tortilla and immediately spoon the equivalent of one chicken tender into the tortilla (3 or 4 chunks of chicken).
- Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons of leftover teriyaki sauce from the cooked chicken bowl over the chicken in each taco.
- Arrange about 1/3 cup shredded lettuce over the chicken in each taco.
- Follow that up with 1 to 2 tablespoons of pineapple chunks, 1 to 2 tablespoons diced tomato, and a couple pinches of chopped green onion.
- Repeat process for remaining tacos.