Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Great finger food for parties--always a hit. Much easier to prepare if you have a food processor.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground pork
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 1⁄2 green cabbage, boiled and diced, squeeze out excess water
- 2 green onions, cut thin
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, diced
- 2 eggs, divided (one egg will be needed to seal wrapper)
- 1⁄8 cup soy sauce
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper
- 2 (12 ounce) packagessmall egg roll wraps (found near produce section)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Keep the ground beef in the fridge until you are done preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix ingredients in large bowl (it's best to use your hands like preparing a meatloaf).
- Scoop some of the mixture into a smaller bowl and keep the rest in the fridge until you are ready for it (wrapping is time consuming and you don't want the meat to be out any longer than it needs to be).
- Mix a raw egg in a small bowl or cup, or use a small bowl of water.
- Place a "sheet" of the egg roll wrap on work surface in front of you then spoon a teaspoonful of meat mixture into the center of the wrapper, dip finger into egg to spread it onto two adjoining edges of the wrapper and fold in half diagonally to seal it (will look like triangle).
- Press edges together and gently hold egg roll in hand and carefully squeeze out excess air as you are sealing.
- Deep fry until golden brown (for healthier method, steam/pan fry with less oil).
- Dipping sauce: Mix soy cause, red pepper and sesame seeds.
My first time making egg rolls! What fun...used ground pork for the filling and tried the deep fry method and the steamed version. Loved them both. Thanks for posting! Barb
My family absolutely LOVES this recipe. It has become a must have. I prefer putting this filling into full size eggrolls, and love the results. I double the recipe and freeze them. The secret is to deep fry them for about 2 minutes and drain. Then to reheat, just throw the frozen eggrolls into hot grease and cook until done. Delicious!!! Just to make sure
My husband spent 2 yrs in Korea and said that this recipe probably came from a well-to-do family. We added noodles, didn't add the mushrooms or the yellow onions. The cabbage needs to be julienned not diced otherwise it won't fit well in the wrap. With some adjustments this was a good base recipe. The directions were perfect! The wonderful thing about Egg Roll recipes is that you can so easily adjust it to fit your tastes. Thank you.