Recipe by mliss29
The strawberry filling was oh-so-good. Yadda May says, "The ladies at our quilting circle just throw a fit over this!" This is from The Treasury of White Trash Cooking. I wasn't wild about the plain cream cheese part, but then again, I didn't follow directions and add the milk. Who knows? I think maybe that layer could use a little sugar. I counted baking the crust as the cooking time. I use the rolled pie crusts in a box in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.
Top Review by Katzen
This is one gorgeous pie!! I made the crust from scratch (like Mom taught me), and used frozen sliced strawberries, which worked perfectly. I also added 1/2 cup of the sugar to the cream cheese mixture, and 1/2 cup to the berries. Instead of flour, I used cornstarch (that's what Mom taught me!) I should have made it a few hours earlier, so it would set better, but even as it was, I had offers to lick the plate! Thanks so much for posting this, mliss! This will definately be made again! Made for Veggie Swap 23.
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, trimmed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- milk (for consistency)
- 1 pie crust, baked
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium heat, cook berries, sugar, salt, and flour until thick.
- Separately mix cream cheese with a bit of milk to soften the mixture.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into an already-baked pie shell.
- Top with the cooked strawberry mixture.
- Chill before serving.