Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Traditional Russian recipe that has a multi-day process to it. Kvass is considered the tsar of thirst quenchers in Russia - low-alcohol, beer like drink full of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that stimulates the circulation and keeps the intestines healthy.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 7 tablespoons white sugar or 7 tablespoons brown sugar
- 7 tablespoons honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 teaspoons brewer's yeast
- 6 tablespoons raisins
- Bring the apples, sugar, honey and cinnamon to a boil in 4 1/2 qts water, leave to cool to room temperature.
- Add the yeast, cover and leave to ferment for 24 hours.
- Strain the liquid, pour into bottles and add the raisins equally to the bottles.
- Seal well, chill and leave to rest for 4 days.