1/1 Photo of Ya Mamma's Frosted Anise Cookies (Copycat)
Adapted from Yankee magazine. Ya Mamma's is an Italian restaurant in Merrimack, NH and these cookies are supposedly served there. These are rather soft and puff up quite a bit - rather cakelike, in a way. These are not overly sweet and are best served with a cup of coffee to dunk them into. The anise extract is an absolute must - it has a licorice like flavor.
My Private Note
dozen c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 7 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon anise extract
- 2/3 cup light cream or 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Cream butter, shortening,and sugar until smooth; add eggs and beat well.
- 3In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt with a whisk.
- 4Add flour mixture to butter mixture along with anise extract and cream and,using a wooden spoon, mix well.
- 5Form dough into small balls and place onto ungreased cookie sheets several inches apart.
- 6Flatten slightly (using a sugared glass or the palm of your hand) and bake approximately 12 minutes.
- 7Remove to racks to cool then frost.
- 8For frosting, melt butter over low heat in a small saucepan.
- 9Add sugar, milk, and anise extract and stir until smooth.
- 10Dunk tops or sides of cooled cookies into the icing, then dunk into a dish of sprinkles to decorate.
- 11Frosting will harden once it dries.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ya Mamma's Frosted Anise Cookies (Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 135.2
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 17.7 mg
- Sodium 96.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 1.8 g