Recipe by FLKeysJen
Mashing broccoli with cheese and potatoes might just be the ticket to getting your kids to eat their veggies. From Eating Well Magazine.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
I scaled this back to serve two and we just loved this dish. Interestingly low-fat milk (or cream) seems not to compromise flavour in any way, whereas low-fat cheese (in my opinion) is tasteless. So I was really glad that this recipe used regular cheese! I added a generous pinch of cumin in step two and some garlic salt. Fabulously flavoursome: thanks for sharing this recipe, ~Jen~. Made for Healthy Choices Tag.
- 1 lb potato, cut into wedges
- 3⁄4 lb broccoli floret, chopped (4 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk, heated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring one inch of water to a boil in a large pot. Place potatoes in a steamer basket and steam for 10 minutes. Place broccoli on top, cover and steam until the potatoes and broccoli are tender, 6 to 8 minutes more.
- Transfer the broccoli to a large bowl and coarsely mash with a potato masher. Add the potatoes, cheese, milk, salt and pepper and continue mashing to desired consistency.
- Serve immediately.