Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From the Alpha-Bakery childrens cookbook put out by Gold Medal Flour when I was a kid. I used to love cooking up all these recipes with my mom!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 (16 ounce) container frosting (any flavor)
- Heat the oven to 350°F Grease 2 round 9-inch pans; dust with flour.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Stir oil mixture and water into flour mixture until well blended, about one minute.
- Immediately pour batter into pans, dividing evenly.
- Bake about 35 minutes, until toothpick insterted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans, let cool completely, and frost. Stack the two rounds together to make a double-layer cake.
This is a brilliant recipe. The cake turns out fantastic every time and is always asked for at birthdays. My children are dairy intolerant, it was a a fabulous find!
Had an opportunity to make this the other day when we had vegan company ~ Much harder to cook for, even though I try to work things out! This was great ~ Tasty & satisfying! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC tag]
This is our family's favorite cake recipe that we've been using for years. It's perfect for us since our daughter is allergic to dairy and eggs.