Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from a local supermarket. Traditional tortilla soup is made with chicken but you can also sometimes find it made with beef.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb chicken or 1 lb beef, cooked and shredded
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups beef broth
- 2 (10 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) can mexicorn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lime
- Heat olive oil in soup pot. Add onion and garlic and cook until browned.
- Add meat, cumin, chili powder, chiles, broth, tomatoes, corn and beans. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes to thicken up slightly.
- Remove from heat and squeeze half of the lime into soup.
- Cut avocado into thin slices, squeeze the other half of lime over top.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with shredded cheese, tortilla chips and avocado.