Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is from a local Mexican Restaurant near my home town.
- 3 cups firm ripe tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 large jalapeno (remove seeds and mince, set aside, flesh minced)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, minced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 -6 teaspoons lime juice, from 1 to 2 limes
- granulated sugar, to taste (max amt 1 tsp)
- Core each tomato. Cut each cored tomato in half through the equator. Cut each half into 3/8 inch thick slices. Stack two slices, cut them into 3/8-inch strips, then into 3/8-inch dice. Repeat until finished.
- Set large colander in large bowl. Place tomatoes in colander and let drain 30 minutes. As tomatoes drain, layer jalapeno, onion, garlic, and cilantro on top. Shake colander to drain off excess tomato juice. Discard juice; wipe out bowl.
- Transfer contents of colander to now-empty bowl. Add salt, pepper, and 2 teaspoons lime juice; toss to combine. Taste and add minced jalapeno seeds, sugar, and additional lime juice to taste.