Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from a local Mexican restaurant.
Make and share this Xochipilli's Pastel De Tres Leches Mexicano (Three Milk Cake) recipe from Food.com.
- unsalted butter (for pan)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (plus more)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour bottom and sides of 8x8x2" metal cake pan. Set aside.
- Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in another large bowl until firm peaks form, 7-8 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating to blend between additions. Beat in 2 teaspoons vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into pan; smooth top.
- Bake cake for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F; continue baking until cake is golden brown and middle springs back when pressed, 20-25 minutes more. Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet.
- Whisk 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, evaporated milk, and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Poke holes all over top of cake with a skewer. Slowly drizzle half of sauce over cake, letting liquid soak in before adding more. Let cake sit for 10 minutes.
- Invert a plate on top of cake. Lift rack and gently invert cake onto plate. Drizzle remaining sauce over. Spoon any liquid collected on sheet over cake.