Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is from a local Mexican restaurant.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 chicken legs-thighs
- 2 dried ancho chiles, stems seeds removed
- 2 dried chipotle chiles, stems seeds removed
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and legs in a single layer, skin side down, and cook until browned on that side (5 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Discard oil in pan, leaving any browned bits on the bottom.
- Add chiles, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and 1 1/2 cups water to pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened (5 minutes).
- Return chicken, skin side up, to pan. Cover and simmer until no longer pink (15 minutes). Transfer to a serving dish, cover with foil, and keep warm in a 200 degree F oven. Meanwhile, simmer the sauce until it is reduced and coats the back of a spoon (25 minutes).
- Remove chiles and discard. Spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with cilantro.