Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from a local Mexican restaurant.
- 1587.57-1814.36 g whole chickens, backbone removed
- 14.79 ml kosher salt (plus more)
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper (plus more for seasoning)
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 59.16 ml olive oil, divided
- 29.58 ml lemon zest, finely grated
- 44.37 ml fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 large fresh poblano chile, quartered seeded
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered seeded
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 59.14 ml red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 236.59 ml fresh basil leaf
- 4 avocados, halved and pitted
- 1.23 ml chili powder
- Open chicken and place on a work surface, skin side up. Using your palms, firmly press on breastbone to flatten the breast. Season chicken all over with 1 tablespoons salt, 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, and cayenne. Place in a baking dish; rub with 1 tablespoons oil, sprinkle with lemon zest, and scatter rosemary over. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Build a medium-low fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium. Place chicken, skin side down, on grill and place a foil wrapped brick or heavy skillet on top of chicken to weigh it down. (This will expose more skin to direct heat, making it crispy; the chicken will also cook faster.) Cook until skin is crispy and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Using tongs, set brick aside. Turn chicken, cover grill, and cook for 10 more minutes. Continue cooking and turning chicken every 10 minutes, covering grill between turns, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165 degrees F, about 50 minutes total. Transfer to a carving board; let chicken rest for 10–20 minutes. (Resting will make for juicier meat.) Transfer to a carving board; let chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- While chicken rests, add more coals to fire if necessary to increase heat to medium, or heat gas grill to medium-high. Season chile, bell pepper, and onion with salt and pepper. Grill (or use a grill basket) over medium heat, turning occasionally, until softened and charred in spots, about 12 minutes. Transfer onion to a medium bowl. Transfer chiles and peppers to a work surface and cut lengthwise into 1-inch slices. Add to bowl with onion. Add 1/4 cup vinegar to vegetables and toss to coat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook until soft but not browned, about 4 minutes. Add basil and stir to wilt. Add basil mixture to bowl with onion. Season vegetables to taste with salt and more vinegar, if desired.
- Rub cut side of avocados with remaining 1 tablespoons oil, season with salt, and sprinkle with chili powder. Grill, cut side down, until avocado is gently warmed and flesh is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Serve chicken with vegetables and avocados.
Awesome recipe! The basil mixture was outstanding. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT8 for Mexico/Tex-Mex.