Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a habanero Salsa. As with all recipes calling for chiles, feel free to substitute with whatever you have on hand. This recipe is from "The Habanero Cookbook" by Dave DeWitt and Nancy Gerlach.
- 2 habanero peppers, deseeded and destemmed, chopped (roasted or not)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium purple onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice or 1⁄3 cup bitter orange juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
bitter orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup grapefruit juice
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- If using bitter orange juice, combine grapefruit juice, orange juice, and lime juice.
- Combine chiles, tomatoes, onion, and juice in a nonreactive bowl.
- Allow to sit for, at least 1 hour or at most 3 hours, to blend the various flavors.
- Just prior to serving, stir in the chopped cilantro.