Prep 2 hrs
Cook 12 mins
I like these in part because these are the cookies I have had all of my life, The recipe was my grandmothers, She was 70 when I was born.She was born in 1869. They are also very good
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup shortening or 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sour milk (make by adding 1tsp vinegar,and let set for a little while)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 1⁄2 cups flour
- Cream sugar and shortening, add eggs and beat together.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Roll out on Floured board and cut out with favorite cookie cutters.
- Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes.
- Cool and Frost.
I followed the recipie exactly and ended up with biscuits not cookies
I tried these for the second time this afternoon. I did notice that the directions in the recipe are a bit scanty, with no mention of mixing in the sour milk or vanilla. I added them with the egg. This recipe makes wonderful butterscotch flavored dough. The difficulty appears when you try to roll it out. I used butter rather than shortening, and chilled the dough in the freezer for about an hour, but it was just too sticky. I added some more flour (certainly not an elegant way to make cookies), and tried again. In the end I was able to cut out some cookies and bake them. They are quite acceptable cookies, which would be 5 star if they were easier to make.