1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Xim-Xim De Galinha, meaning chicken with peanuts and cashews, is a Brazilian dish. It's served hot with white rice and Farofa, a chili condiment.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 roasting chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 2 lemons, juice of
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 lb smoked dried shrimp
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 4 hot peppers (preserved malagueta peppers, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons roasted cashew nuts, ground
- 1 tablespoon roasted peanuts, ground
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3 tablespoons dende oil (see step #6)
- 1Marinate the chicken in the lemon juice, salt, and pepper for half an hour.
- 2Grind the dried shrimp in a food processor with the onion and tomatoes into a thick paste.
- 3In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat; add the garlic and cook, stirring, until browned. Add the onion, tomato, and shrimp paste and the drained chicken pieces.
- 4Brown the chicken pieces on all sides, then add 1/4 cup of the water bit by bit, cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is almost cooked. Be sure that the mixture does not boil and stir occasionally so that the chicken pieces do not stick to the pan.
- 5Add the jumbo shrimp, malagueta peppers, and ground nuts. Check the seasonings. Add the ginger and remaining water and finish cooking by bringing the mixture to a boil.
- 6When ready to serve, drizzle the Dende oil over the xim-xim and cook for a few more minutes. In lieu of Dende oil, you can use a mixture of 1 cup vegetable oil and 3 tablespoons annatto seeds that has soaked for 12 hours.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Xim-Xim De Galinha
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.3
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 130.9 mg
- Sodium 495.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 21.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: