From Southern Living magazine, this is from a family cookbook-From Hundnall Kitchens-by Karen and Bill Hudnall of Paris, Texas. They say this is one of the favorites. Great taken to picnics and potlucks! UPDATE: Due to reviews, I have added some additional spices to this recipe. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 (1 lb) eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 slices bread, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted (or margarine)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup cracker crumb
- Cook the eggplant and onion in boiling water to cover 5 minutes, or until tender; drain. Add the crumbled bread and next 11 ingredients(through to thyme), stir well.
- Pour into a greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish, top with cracker crumbs, and sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350*F. for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Enjoy!
- Yield: 6 servings.