Recipe by Donna M.
These bright and cheery bars add pizzazz to any holiday cookie platter. You can make up your own combination of flavors by using different dried fruits and extracts with different Jell-o flavors to make an assortment of colorful bars. Kids will love them! Recipe from a Land O Lakes cookbook.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I made these with a couple of changes ~ Used cherry flavoring instead of the almond & also used dried cherries instead of the cranberries! GREAT TASTE & just the right look for the winter holidays, especially when dusted LIGHTLY with the powdered sugar! Thanks for a keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in All New Zaar Cookbooks Tag]
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package cherry Jell-O
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl and set aside.
- Combine butter and sugar in large mixer bowl.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
- Add Jell-o, and beat until well mixed.
- Add eggs and almond extract and beat well.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture.
- Beat until just combined.
- Stir in cranberries and almonds by hand.
- Spread batter into greased 15 x 10 jelly- roll pan.
- Bake for 18 to 23 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar; cut into bars.