Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Green and oozing with...less fat! Keep this recipe classified information and your guests may not be able to identify the mystery alien ingredient which keeps this healthy! From Shape Magazine.
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 12 ounces silken tofu, drained (aka X-Files mystery ingredient)
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix all ingredients in a blender or food processor until creamy, about one minute.
- Toss over hot cooked pasta, using about 2 tablespoons per cup of pasta.
This is a great way to make your pesto very creamy, almost like an alfredo without the fat. I used the high end on the garlic and a strong flavored olive oil. It went very well with pasta and cherry tomatoes. You can't even tell you are eating something healthy - silken tofu is such a chameleon.
Love this sauce Jen, and as an even bigger testimonial both my picky teenage daughters loved it. They don't like traditional pesto because the flavor is too intense. The addition of the tofu in this version makes the flavors more mellow, but still you get a good dose of basil. Thanks for sharing. I made this for the Photo Tag Game.