I made shortbread once in the early '80's and it was a disaster! Zaar has improved my confidence so I had another bash. Success! This came from a book on British Dairy Foods.
- Light oven 325f, 170c, gas mark 3.
- Lightly grease and flour a 7" diameter oven-proof dish(I used the one in my photo).
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the flour and ground rice and mix until smooth.
- Press mixture into the dish. Using a fork, prick well all over. If you wish, you can pinch a pattern around the edge using your finger and thumb.
- Mark into 8 triangles with a sharp knife.
- Bake for about 40 mins until a nice pale golden colour.
- Leave to rest for 5 mins, then cut into triangles and sift with castor sugar (I think I'll try cinnamon sugar next time).