1/5 Photos of Wyatt Cafeteria's Baked Eggplant (Aubergine)
7 hrs 15 mins
6 hrs 30 mins
There was once a cafeteria in Texas called Wyatts Cafeteria. DH's family would go there after church on Sunday and his mother would get baked eggplant. For years she tried to copy the recipe and came very close. The original recipe was published in the local paper several years ago. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 lb dried breadcrumbs (I use as did my mother-in-law a herbed stuffing mix)
- 1/2 cup canned evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimiento
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1Soak the eggplant cubes in salt water in refrigerator overnight or a minimum of six hours.
- 2Drain and place in medium saucepan.
- 3Cover with water and simmer until tender.
- 4Soak the bread crumbs in milk.
- 5Saute the onions, green peppers, and celery in melted butter for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- 6Combine the cooked eggplant, bread crumbs and sauteed vegetables.
- 7Add the eggs, pimiento, and seasonings; mix thoroughly.
- 8Place the mixture into a 2 quart baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.
- 9Remove cover, top with grated cheese and return to oven last 5 minutes of cooking.
- 10The preparation time includes the soaking time for the eggplant.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wyatt Cafeteria's Baked Eggplant (Aubergine)
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 309.5
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 89.3 mg
- Sodium 1027.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 12.7 g