Recipe by auntchelle
A good basic biscuit to go with a cup of tea. I love the texture the custard powder gives them. At only 1.5 points each they are a great treat. Australian measurements used.
Top Review by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
Soft, yummy "big" cookies for WW cookies! I got 26 cookies which made them only 2 points plus each. According to the recipe builder on the WW site, if you only get 24 cookies, it is 2 points plus for 1 cookie but 5 points plus for 2. I substituted a small box of instant vanilla pudding for the custard powder. I also didn't have self-rising flour so I used the appropriate equivalents of baking powder, salt and regular flour. At first, they were a little salty. As they sat, that seemed to mellow out a bit. Not sure if it because I use sea salt or if Australian self-rising flour has a different ratio of salt. Next time, I'll use less. I used just a tad more than 8 Tbls. of Land-O-Lake's light butter to get the 120 grams. (Maybe the Australian light butter isn't salted?) The almonds were a nice touch. Would be interested to try the recipe with other pudding flavors and extracts for a variety of flavor combinations. Thanks for posting! I liked having cookies at my party that I could enjoy too without blowing my point allowance for the day!
- 1 1⁄2 cups self raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup custard powder
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 120 g low-fat butter, chopped (room temperature)
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 30 g slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C (356 deg F). Line 2 trays with baking paper.
- Into a medium bowl sift together the SR flour and custard powder. Stir in the sugar.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks like soft breadcrumbs.
- Combine the milk and vanilla essence then stir into the mix. It should form a firm dough.
- Drop 2 teaspoons of dough in heaps onto the the prepared trays. They will spread so allow space between biscuit. Lightly flatten with fork then sprinkle with almonds. Press lightly to adhere.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden on the bottom.