Prep 45 mins
Cook 32 mins
If you think tofu has no taste, think again! We pressed out its water and then roasted it with soy sauce to create a wonderful dense texture and a delicious, smoky flavor. 6 points per serving. from www.weightwatchers.com
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, sliced into six 1/2-inch slices
- cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, fresh, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, about 1 large clove
- 1 hot green chili pepper, thinly sliced (or red, Thai-variety)
- 1⁄2 cup shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup uncooked string bean, trimmed and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil (Thai or Italian, torn.plus a few leaves whole for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced on diagonal (for garnish)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, kept hot
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place tofu slices on several layers of paper towels.
- Cover with more paper towels and top with a cookie sheet.
- Place several heavy objects (like a can or heavy pots or pans) on cookie sheet to press out water from tofu for 30 minutes.
- Coat cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut tofu into cubes to yield 9 cubes per slice.
- Place on cookie sheet and brush with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
- Coat tofu with cooking spray and place in oven.
- Roast for 25 minutes, remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add ginger, garlic and chili; cook until fragrant, about 10 to 15 seconds.
- Add mushrooms, cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add peppers and string beans; increase heat to high and cook until vegetables are cooked but still crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining tablespoon of soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, basil and roasted tofu.
- Cook to warm through, about 1 minute.
- Garnish with scallions and basil.
- Serve with rice.
- Yields about 1 3/4 cups of tofu mixture and 1/2 cup of rice per serving.