Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is out of the July/August 2008 Weight Watchers magazine. Sounds great and planning to make it during a RV trip. Says to use 3/4 inch thick steaks. Boneless top sirloin steaks, also are known as New York strip steaks, they are lean yet super tender.
- Combine 2 tsp of the brown sugar, the chili powder, cumin, pepper, and salt in a small bowl.
- Spray a small saucepan with nonstick spray and heat over medium-low.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add 1 tbls of the spice mixture, the remaining 1 tsp of brown sugar, the ketchup, water, steak sauce, and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended, 10 minutes.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Spray the grill rack with nonstick spray and heat the grill to medium high or prepare a medium-hot fire.
- Rub the steaks with the remaining spice mixture.
- Place on the grill rack and grill until an instant read-thermometer inserted into the side of each steak registers 130 degrees, 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to a platter, cover loosely with foil, and let stand 5 minutes (until the temperature increases to 135 degrees for medium rare).
- Serve with the sauce.
Yummy steak! I never would have guessed that this was WW from the taste. It was simple to make and we loved it. Thanks for sharing, Teresa. Made for FYC tag.
Yummy steak! Loved the rub, great with beef and I think it would be good on pork too. I put the rub on about an hour before I grilled the steak and it gave a great flavor that was very nice with the sauce. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
Made this for my dh last night for dinner. He enjoyed it very much, and in fact said it had better flavor than the steak he had eaten the night before at Ruby Tuesday. I put the dry rub on the beef and let it sit in the fridge for about 5 hours. I then took it out and set it on the counter for about 40 minutes to bring to room temp before cooking. Only other adjustment I made is that I used low sugar ketchup since that's what I keep on hand in the house.
**Two nights later, I have updated my rating from 4 to 5 stars, because as my dh was eating the leftovers tonight he said, "You know, I REALLY like this beef. Please make this again." He's not a picky eater by any means, but that's the first time in a long time he has asked specifically for me to make something again. So apparently it reheated to his liking as well. He's not usually complimentary of leftovers so that means a lot.