Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From WW Oct 2007 magazine.
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 2 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 (16 ounce) container fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed through a press
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse; set aside.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the squash and cook until golden, 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Combine the cottage cheese, spinach, 2 cups of the mozzarella, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, the eggs, basil, garlic and salt.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Spread 1 cup sauce in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with 3 noodles, 2 cups filling, and the squash. Top with 3 noodles, 1 cup sauce and remaining filling. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and cheeses. Cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover. Bake 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Absolutely delicious and very open to adaptations too! I made some changes to this recipe based on what I had by using only one summer squash but 16 oz of frozen spinach and instead of the mozzarella used about 1/4 pound leftover Alpine Lace Swiss Cheese. Instead of the fat free cottage cheese I used some 2% cottage cheese combined with some part skim ricotta to equal 16 oz. The only other change I made was using some dried oregano instead of the basil which I didn't have. I put this together before work, put in the fridge and cooked it after work -- adding 10 minutes to the cooking time (as it was cold when I put it in the oven). This was a wonderful Friday night supper with sf jello for dessert. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe which we will be having again soon!.