Recipe by mickeydownunder
Saw this recipe, thought right away, Even with pasta, this MAKES my day! Redoing ingredient list, so protein level I can raise! Thank you to the original poster, to whom I give praise! Ww Spinach and Mushroom Cannelloni Ww Spinach and Mushroom Cannelloni NOTE: I have changed the servings from 4 to 8 as 2 tubes are VERY filling served with a salad and balsamic vinegar
- low-fat cooking spray
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced (I used 3 as I love garlic)
- 1 lb spinach, leaves
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme (I used mixed italian herbs)
- 16 cannelloni tubes
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard (I used a little more)
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Heat a large pan misted with low fat oil spray, add the mushrooms and cook over a medium heat for 3 mins until the juices begin to be released.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for 2 mins or until the juices have evapourated.
- Add the spinach in batches and cook, stirring, until wilted. Remove from the heat and stir in the tomato paste, dried herbs and season with salt and pepper. Cool slightly.
- Using the end of a teaspoon, stuff the cannelloni tubes with the spinach and mushroom mixture and place in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Blend 4 tbs of the milk with the cornstarch to make a paste. Bring the rest of the milk to the boil in a pan, then add the cornstarch paste. While stirring, bring it back to the boil and cook until thickened slightly - it should still be quite runny. Remove the pan from the heat, add the mustard and half of each of the cheeses and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the cannelloni, top with the slices of tomato and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes Serve with salad and enjoy!