Recipe by teresas
My grandaughter (with help from her Daddy) gave me a wonderful cookbook for Christmas called "The Whole Foods Market Cookbook". This is the recipe that my DS recommend to try 1st. It was full of fat so I have made it lower in fat. The original recipe said it served 6 in a 9X9 inch pan. There is so much of this stuff I can't imagine it fitting in that size of pan. I used a 9X13 inch pan and it was full.This is my version of this tasty dish. Still high in calories but lower in fat. Made WW friendly-7 points
- 3 tablespoons light margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 1/2 tsp)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, canned, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat swiss cheese, grated
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a large saute' pan, and add the onion, garlic, cumin, and coriander.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often, or until the onion is soft.
- Mix in the flour, and cook the mixture over moderate heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Using a wire whisk, slowly incorporate the milk into the onion mixture until the flour and milk are blended.
- Bring this to a boil, lower, the heat to a simmer, and stir in the jalapeno pepper, cayenne pepper, salt, and tomatoes with their juice.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, and Swiss cheese, blending until well mixed.
- Combine the sauce, cooked pasta and the chicken in a large mixing bowl.
- Place the sauced pasta in a 9X13-inch baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix the Parmesan cheese with the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan topping over the pasta.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the crumb topping is golden brown.