Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Found while surfing the Net. It's been calculated at 7 pts with cheese and 5 pts without. It is very tasty and makes a ton (perfect for OAMC). If you chop the cabbage in a food processor, you can slip in the healthy veggie without picky eaters knowing. DH liked it and he hates cabbage.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or 1 lb ground sirloin)
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon southwest seasoning (or Cajun seasoning)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- salt and black pepper
- 1 head green cabbage, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cansouthwestern petite dice tomatoes with juice
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup broth, beef or 1⁄4 cup vegetables or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, low-fat
- Cook brown rice following package’s directions.
- Chop onion finely, and cabbage into bite size pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking dish.
- In a large skillet heat to medium heat, brown ground beef crumbling into small pieces.
- Remove ground beef and set aside.
- Add ½ T of oil to skillet and add chopped onion. Sautee for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add minced garlic, Southwestern or Cajun seasoning, paprika and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, parsley, ground beef, cabbage & broth. Stir thoroughly.
- S&P to taste. Add more spice is preferred.
- Simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes. Mixture will thicken slightly.
- Add cooked rice and fold in so rice doesn’t break down.
- Transfer into baking dish and cover with foil, baking for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer until cheese melts & browns lightly.