Recipe by Lizzie Rodriquez
Top Review by chosengirl817
I've made this recipe multiple times and everytime I make it, it is great! It has a very unique flavor and it is very very filling! Just make sure that you read the directions exactly because this recipe does NOT use regular rice! It is parboiled rice and cooks perfectly in the time allocated. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!!
- 1 spray cooking spray, garlic flavored
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked white rice, converted variety
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned tomato puree, roasted variety
- 15 ounces canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 slices reduced-fat bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chili sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon scallion, chopped (green parts only)
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, heat over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic to skillet and saute until slightly softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place rice, broth, tomato puree, beans, bacon, chipotle sauce, oregano, salt and pepper in a 3 to 4 quart slow cooker, add sauteed vegetables. Cover and cook on low setting for 3 1/2 hours. Stir in cilantro and scallions just before serving.