Cook3 hrs 30 mins
Make and share this Ww Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 spray cooking spray, garlic flavored
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked white rice, converted variety
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned tomato puree, roasted variety
- 15 ounces canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 slices reduced-fat bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chili sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon scallion, chopped (green parts only)
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, heat over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic to skillet and saute until slightly softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place rice, broth, tomato puree, beans, bacon, chipotle sauce, oregano, salt and pepper in a 3 to 4 quart slow cooker, add sauteed vegetables. Cover and cook on low setting for 3 1/2 hours. Stir in cilantro and scallions just before serving.
This is really great, and I'm a super-picky eater! The only problem I had with the recipe as-is is that I used quick cooking brown rice, and I needed to add about two more cups in the cooking process. Using quick cooking rice made it mushy, but even mushy it was very, very, very tasty!
I can't leave any stars. I made as posted but using 1/2 cup rice to all that liquid just didn't add up. After cooking it for 2 1/2 hrs the rice was not even close to being done and the whole pot was just like a soup. The flavor was awesome. I had about 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice that I was going to use for another recipe so I threw it into the pot and turned it up on high. After cooking on high for another 1 1/2 hours the uncooked rice was still a bit hard but the rest of the dish looked like red beans and rice. I had such high hopes for this WW recipe. I would suggest to cook up your rice like normal and add all of the ingredients later. It really does have a great spicy flavor. Made for Spring PAC 2010. Thanks for letting me try your recipe. :)
all I added to this was a bit of ground mustard seed.. It doesn't taste like "healthy" food at all and is perfect for fall evenings