Recipe by annroberts54
My point friendly version of Shepherd's Pie. It is worth 6 points if divided into 8 servings. The cheese is Cabot's 75% reduced fat cheddar. You will have to re figure points if a different cheese is used.
Top Review by NeilA
There was some confusion with regard to the instructions for the instant potato flakes. 8 oz. by weight or by measure? What is done with the 1 cup of milk? Is it in addition to the liquid called for by the potato flake instructions? Net result was that the potato topping was too dry and the lack of moisture prevented the vegetables from cooking completely. I will try it again.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 3 celery ribs, chopped fine
- 32 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 12 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces instant potato flakes
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- brown & crumble beef in skillet.
- Add chopped onion & celery and cook until soft.
- In large mixing bowl, place frozen vegetables, tomato sauce, ground beef mixture and salt & pepper.
- Combine well and place into greased baking dish that has enough room for the potato topping.
- Mix dried mashed potato flakes according to directions except do not use butter.
- Add 3oz of the grated cheddar and then spread potatoes over the vegetable mixture.
- Bake in 350F oven for about 45 minutes.
- For last 15 minutes top with remaining 1 oz of cheddar.