Recipe by Sandy Wade
Turn this recipe into a main dish. Prepare the sausage and pepper mixture as instructed and serve it over couscous or rice. Taken from Weight Watchers. 6 points per serving
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, havled lenghtwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 8 ounces Italian bread, about 1 medium loaf
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 lb raw Italian turkey sausage, cut into half-inch slices
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick skillet, sauté sausage until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion and oil. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate.
- In skillet, sauté peppers until softened, about 5 minutes. If necessary, add up to 4 tablespoons water to prevent sticking.
- Stir in vinegar, then return sausage mixture to skillet. Toss to combine.
- Split bread lengthwise, almost all the way through, and spread open. Top with sausage mixture.
- Close bread, then cut crosswise into 4 sandwiches.