I recently started weight watchers and have been searching for flavourful yet healthy meals. This is a really easy side dish or take-to-work lunch. Feel free to use fresh herbs in place of the italian seasoning, but add them toward the end of cooking. This recipe serves 3 as a side dish or 2 as a lunch. The figures may be different between countries, but by British Weight Watchers, this whole recipe is a total of 9 1/2 points.
- In a pan, put the rice, onion, garlic and italian seasoning.
- Crumble in the stock cubes.
- Pour the boiling water into the pan and stir to dissolve the stock cubes.
- Simmer, covered, over a low to medium heat for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Stir every 5 minutes or so, to stop the rice from sticking to the pan.
- Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. By this stage, nearly all the liquid should have been absorbed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (bear in mind, the stock cubes contain quite a lot of salt).
- Serve hot or allow to cool and refrigerate.
- NB: If reheating this rice in the microwave, add a little water before reheating so the rice doesn't dry out.