This is an excellent dish out of the "Simple Goodness" Weight Watchers cookbook. It takes a bit of time but it is well worth it. Hope you enjoy.
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- cooking spray
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 6 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch slices (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup fresh romano cheese, grated
- 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- Preheat over to 425 degrees.
- Rub a shallow 3-quart baking dish with cut sides of garlic halves; discard garlic.
- Coat dish with cooking spray.
- Coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray; and place over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion, and saute' 5 minutes or until onion is tender; set aside.
- Arrange one-third of potato slices in prepared dish, and sprinkle with half of salt and half of pepper.
- Top with half of sauteed onion and half of cheddar and Romano Cheeses.
- Repeat layers, ending with the remaining potato slices.
- Bring broth and milk to a boil over low heat in a small saucepan; pour over potato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered at 425 degrees for 50 minutes or until tender.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
I scaled this back for 3 and there was plenty with some left over. I baked at 175C fan forced and as the baking dish I used was on the small size I got 4 layers of potatoes and took an hour to cook to tender stage though next will add some extra cheese to the top layer as I think this would brown and give better presentation for unfortunately the potatoes did not brown as much as I would have hoped but the flavour was very good. Thank you TeresaS, made for Rookie tag game.
Very Yummy! This was a tasty, satisfying way to use up my potatoes. I used my mandolin to evenly slice the potatoes and make it go quicker. I used a whole white onion and added 3 minced garlic cloves. I had to sub parmesan for the romano, water plus bouillon for the broth and light cream for the evaporated milk. I also used Lawry's season salt for the salt. The sauce was a little thin but it didn't bother us. This was great alongside chicken and zucchini. Made for kittencalskitchen.com tag.
Delicious! The whole family liked this and went back for seconds. It definitely tasted full-fat.