This is an excellent dish out of the "Simple Goodness" Weight Watchers cookbook. It takes a bit of time but it is well worth it. Hope you enjoy.
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- cooking spray
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 6 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch slices (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup fresh romano cheese, grated
- 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- Preheat over to 425 degrees.
- Rub a shallow 3-quart baking dish with cut sides of garlic halves; discard garlic.
- Coat dish with cooking spray.
- Coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray; and place over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion, and saute' 5 minutes or until onion is tender; set aside.
- Arrange one-third of potato slices in prepared dish, and sprinkle with half of salt and half of pepper.
- Top with half of sauteed onion and half of cheddar and Romano Cheeses.
- Repeat layers, ending with the remaining potato slices.
- Bring broth and milk to a boil over low heat in a small saucepan; pour over potato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered at 425 degrees for 50 minutes or until tender.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.