Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
Maintain the rich flavor of this classic soup by stir-frying the onions in dry sherry and adding a dash of Worcestershire sauce * We updated the French Onion Soup by: o Stir-frying the onions in dry sherry instead of butter. o Removing the fat from the beef broth. o Switching to a strong-flavored Parmesan cheese and grating it so we could reduce the amount used but still cover the bowl.
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons dry sherry
- 4 cups nonfat beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices French bread
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- * Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a large saucepan, combine onions and sherry; sauté until onions are tender, about 6 minutes.
- * Add broth and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- * Meanwhile, toast bread in oven until golden brown.
- * Place one piece of toast into each of four bowls. Divide soup among bowls and top each with 1/2 tablespoon of grated cheese. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
I'm the only one in the family that eats French onion soup. Usually I have to go out or wait for an event like PAC to justify making it. Tonight was such a treat! The first thing I thought when pouring in the sherry was that it already smelled like an authentic bowl of French onion soup. I used gluten-free French bread that I bake at work, and I put it all under the broiler for a few minutes to melt and brown the cheese. Delicious! Thanks so much for posting this super easy, healthy and satisfying recipe, Matt! Made & enjoyed for Fall 2011 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! :D http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=363796&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Healthy yet tasty! We definitely didn't miss the huge amounts of salt that are so typical for onion soup. The sauteing technique w/o butter I prefer. The quality of your beef broth is a key component-the soup will only be as good as your broth. I chose to skip the toast on top b/c I had just made fresh dinner rolls. Made for Fall PAC 2011.
While I love a good French Onion Soup this much healthier low fat version makes a great week night. Sauteing the onion in sherry really helps to maintain that classic flavor. I made as written, thanks for the post.