Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I came up with this dish to go with sausage and mash- it is a vegetable side and gravy in one. This recipe provides a total of 2 WW points, providing there is no fat in the beef stock. If you are not watching calories as closely, feel free to add more flour to produce a thicker gravy- add 1 WW point per tablespoon of flour added.
- 3 red onions
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 2 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- Peel and cut the onions into wedges, about an eighth of an onion each.
- Put these onion wedges into a saucepan, add the beef stock and heat until just boiling.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour with the cold water until all lumps are gone.
- Slowly add the flour and water mixture to the stock, stirring quickly until it is all mixed in.
- Put the rosemary sprigs in whole.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes, until the onions are cooked to your liking and the gravy has thickened.
- Remove the rosemary sprigs and serve over your favourite meat dish.
This gravy is sensational -- I could eat it all by myself. We made 1/3 of a batch mostly as written (used a little less flour). Served with Frikadellen (German Meat Patties), Scottish Kilkenney (A Different Version of Mashed Potatoes) and Sauted Mushrooms in Cream Sauce (German Style). This was an amazing combination that let us mop up all the juices and flavours of all these wonderful dishes. Totally wonderful.
We really enjoyed this. The fresh rosemary just makes this dish come alive. It even made my teenage son creep out of his room to see what smelled so good! I love that there is no fat and no depending on meat drippings or a packet to have a good gravy. I did end up adding another dose of flour & water, but that's just personal preference. I also cut the onions into 16ths, as my red onions were huge. :) Served over Scottish Kilkenney (A Different Version of Mashed Potatoes). Thanks for sharing your creation, Shuz! This will be our go-to gravy recipe! Made & enjoyed for ZWT-6 Team Xtra Hot Dishes! :)
We enjoyed this nearly fat free gravy with a whole lot of onions. I did feel it needed some pepper. The rosemary was nice. It would be so much nicer with the onions fried first but this suited my diet better. My husband thought adding in some mushrooms would take it over the top but they, alas, would also need to be fried. With all that said, we did enjoy the treat of having gravy and not feeling guilty about it.;) Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for ZWT - Xtra Hot Dishes.