Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Even better reheated. I freeze individual cooked portions,take it to work, & nuke it.
- 1 eggplant
- 26 ounces tomato sauce (I like Paul Neuman's Sausage & Peppers)
- 1 lb lean beef (optional)
- 12 -16 ounces shredded low-fat cheese (any "flavor" you like, or mix 2)
- Saute or nuke the beef & drain.
- Cut eggplant in half the long way. Put the cut side down, then very, very thinly slice it. (I use a Mandoline).
- Put a thin layer of sauce in a 9x13 glass pan.
- Layer the ingredients as follows: 1/2 the eggplant, all of the beef, 1/2 of the sauce, the other 1/2 of the eggplant, the rest of the sauce, top with all of the cheese.
- Cover with an inverted dish. Nuke 20 minutes, then let it sit 5-10 minutes.
I am rating this on easy prep and the smell is wonderful. Can't wait to eat it!
This was very good and fun to "play with". I used extra lean ground beef and chopped up a Vidalia onion in it,Ragu thick and chunky mushroom sauce,fat free mozzarella cheese and then I put parmesan on top of each layer of eggplant. (Can't have eggplant parmesan without the parmesan!:))I cooked the beef in a fry pan and the whole casserole in the oven on 350 for about 45 minutes. I'm not a fan of microwaved meat. I added the cheese in the last 5 minutes. It came out smelling like a lasagna and tasted wonderful. The only thing that I would do differently next time is peel the eggplant. Those skins get a little tough! Thanks for the great WW recipe!!