Ww Mexican-Style Roast Chicken
- Preheat overn to 350*. Spray the rack of a roasting pan with nonstick spray and place in the pan.
- Combine the chiles and 3 of the onion halves in a food processor; add the cilantro, lime juice, 1/4 t of the salt, and a grinding of the pepper; process until finely chopped.
- Gently loosen the skin form the breast and leg protions of the chicken; stuff the chile mixture evenly under the skin.
- Sprinkle the inside of the chicken with the remaining 1/4 t salt and another grinding of the pepper; add the remaining onion half and truss* the chicken. Place the chicken, breast side up, in the roasting pan. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the inner thigh registers 180* F, 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Let stand 10 minutes before carving. Remove and discard the onion and skin. Scrape off and discard the chile mixture before eating, if desired. Serve warm.
- *Trussing the chicken gives it a neater appearance when it comes out of the oven. To truss, cut a 30-inch length of kitchen twine. Tie the legs together at the ankles with the center of the twine, then loop each end around its corresponding wing at the elbow point. Pull the ends of the twine over the lower third of the breast to join them; tie them as tightly as possible.