This is a tasty side dish which also works well as a take-to-work lunch reheated in the microwave the next day. Makes 2 lunches or serves 2-3 as a side dish. The figures may be different between countries, but by British Weight Watchers, this recipe is a total of 10 points, so if you make 2 servings out of it, they would be 5 points each.
- Heat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Put the rice in an ovenproof casserole dish. Add the finely diced onion.
- Crumble in the chicken stock cubes and pour over the boiling water. Stir to dissolve the stock.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, italian seasoning, parmesan cheese and garlic. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Stir to mix well.
- Cover with a lid or tin foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Uncover after 45 minutes. Stir and bake a further 10 minutes uncovered or until the rice is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve hot or allow to cool and store in the fridge to be reheated.
- NB: If reheating in the microwave the next day, add a little water before heating, to avoid the rice drying out.
Yummy! I love oven recipes. After reading another reviewer saying it was a bit mushy, I decided to drain the tomatoes into a bowl and then subbed the tomato liquid in for part of the water. Definitely not mushy. The tomato liquid was almost a full cup, so that would make a difference. I served as a side dish with fish, and think it would serve more than 3 people-maybe 6 which would also change the NF. Thank you Shuzbud for posting. Made for Everyday is a Holiday.
I really enjoyed the taste of this. I used garlic & olive oil tomato accents, instead of plain tomatoes which added to the flavour. I even shredded some mozarella over my serving & melted it in the microwave (which gave it a pizza-like flavour). This is a very versatile recipe. Tonite, I am browning some lean ground beef & mixing it with the remainder for a heartier "dh" friendly meal. Thanks Shuzbud! Made for Everyday Holiday Tag-Dec09.
This was a tastey recipe and easy to make. It came out a bit mushy, I think because of the extra liquid in the chopped tomatoes. But overall, very good and easy to make. Thanks Shuzbud.