Recipe by Shuzbud
This is a tasty side dish which also works well as a take-to-work lunch reheated in the microwave the next day. Makes 2 lunches or serves 2-3 as a side dish. The figures may be different between countries, but by British Weight Watchers, this recipe is a total of 10 points, so if you make 2 servings out of it, they would be 5 points each.
Top Review by WiGal
Yummy! I love oven recipes. After reading another reviewer saying it was a bit mushy, I decided to drain the tomatoes into a bowl and then subbed the tomato liquid in for part of the water. Definitely not mushy. The tomato liquid was almost a full cup, so that would make a difference. I served as a side dish with fish, and think it would serve more than 3 people-maybe 6 which would also change the NF. Thank you Shuzbud for posting. Made for Everyday is a Holiday.
- 236.59 ml long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 473.18 ml hot water
- 354.88 ml canned chopped tomatoes
- 7.39 ml italian seasoning
- 9.85 ml finely grated reduced-fat parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Put the rice in an ovenproof casserole dish. Add the finely diced onion.
- Crumble in the chicken stock cubes and pour over the boiling water. Stir to dissolve the stock.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, italian seasoning, parmesan cheese and garlic. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Stir to mix well.
- Cover with a lid or tin foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Uncover after 45 minutes. Stir and bake a further 10 minutes uncovered or until the rice is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Serve hot or allow to cool and store in the fridge to be reheated.
- NB: If reheating in the microwave the next day, add a little water before heating, to avoid the rice drying out.