- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 5 cups water
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 16 ounces dry green lentils, rinsed and picked over (about 3 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large kettle, heat olive oil over medium high.
- Add onions, garlic, celery and carrot. Cook for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are deep gold in color.
- Stir in spices, than add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a slow simmer.
- Simmer for about 2 hours or until lentils are tender.
- Discard bay leaves and serve.