Cook6 hrs 15 mins
This comes from the WW website. POINTS® Value: 3 Servings: 8 Preparation Time: 20 min Cooking Time: 375 min Level of Difficulty: Easy Toss the ingredients into a slow cooker in the morning, and you'll be eating this delicious, almost effortless homemade soup for dinner.
- 58 ounces fat-free chicken broth, four 14 . 5 oz cans
- 16 ounces low-fat smoked sausage
- 15 ounces canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- Mix all ingredients, except tomatoes, in a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker (crockpot). Cover and cook on low-heat setting at least 6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes; cover and cook on high-heat setting until heated through, about 15 minutes more. Yields about 1 heaping cup per serving.
Delicious soup. This recipe is easy and very filling. I added tomato paste and cabbage. Otherwise I followed directions precisely . Will make again and again thanks
I'm not sure how or if I should rate this recipe, here's why. I made this on 11/9/10 for the Crockpot/Rice Cooker Event in KK's Forum, but I made a lot of changes.First I made it with full-fat ingredients.Then instead of using black beans, white beans( a.k.a. Great Northern ) were used.We don't eat celery so I added a bit of celery powder along with some salt and pepper.After reading some of the reviews, I sliced the carrots really thin so they would be done within the 6 hour cooking time.And to make this " Good For You Soup " meal " Gone Bad " :) I added some Fried Cornbread on the side.My SO thought it was just o.k., but I really like it a lot. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
I have another soup recipe that uses sausage, which we all love. I was looking for something similar but with less fat when I found this recipe. I used turkey kielbasa and replaced the black beans with cannelloni beans (white kidney beans). I also used Italian Spice in place of the thyme. We really enjoyed the soup a lot. My only complaint was the carrots were not cooked at 6 hours. We were supposed to have the soup for Sunday lunch, but I had to fix something else and serve the soup for dinner. Even after 12 hours on low, the carrots were still a bit firmer than we like. I would recommend precooking the carrots a bit or using canned if you are going to cook the soup for only 6 hours. Updated to add: This is probably my favorite soup ever. I now use canned carrots so the soup is ready in just 4-6 hours. We love having a big bowl with Italian Herb Bread (Bread Machine). Fantastic! It taste great with any combination of black, pinto and cannelloni beans.