Recipe by Kanzeda
Original recipe is weight watchers... but it is in my nature to tweak even the best recipe. My biggest change was adding stock for half the water and beefing up the vegetables.
Top Review by LUVMY2BOYS
My husband loves split pea soup; thank u for sharing a healthy version! I used dried onion & jarred minced garlic but had no carrots. I also only had chicken broth & used the suggestion to replace 1/2 the water w/ broth. For marjoram, the kitchen dictionary said thyme was a good sub, so that's what I used! I used closer to a cup of lean ham since hubby loves ham, and about an hour was just right to cook the peas. The back of the bag of peas said cooking takes 20-30 min--but an hour worked fine! He enjoyed this with a sandwich; said it needed more salt but he enjoys salty foods LOL! Thanks again for sharing!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dried split peas, rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup ham, slivered
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, saute the onion, carrot, and garlic until softened 5 minutes.
- Add the split peas water and broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer until the peas are tender, approxiamtely 1 hour.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.