This is a classic, old-fashioned stuffed bell pepper. The recipe is adapted from Weight Watchers Take 5 – 150 Five-Ingredient Recipes cookbook. I use red peppers because they are sweeter. I also use the hot and spicy V 8 for zing. I also use Uncle Ben's Tomato Basil or Spanish Rice and have sub ground turkey for beef. Can cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 55-60 minutes or until peppers are tender and beef mixture is cooked through. Cook time includes rice cool down time. Per serving (1 bell pepper with 5 tablespoons sauce): 186 calories, 5 grams fat, 2 grams fiber. 4 points
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked white rice
- 4 medium bell peppers, any color
- 10 ounces extra lean ground beef (7% or less fat)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups 100% vegetable juice (e.g. V8)
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Cook the rice according to package directions, omitting the butter or vegetable oil. Cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, with a sharp knife, slice off the top of each bell pepper and remove the seeds. Set aside. Remove and discard stems and chop remaining pepper tops.
- Combine the cooked rice, the ground beef, onion, chopped pepper, garlic, 1/4 cup of the vegetable juice, the Parmesan, and spices in a medium bowl. Spoon the rice mixture, dividing it evenly, into the bell peppers.
- Place the bell peppers in a deep 3-quart sauce pan; pour the remaining 1 1/4 cups vegetable juice around the bell peppers.
- Set pan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmer and cover.
- Simmer until peppers are tender and beef is cooked through, 20 - 30 minutes.
- Place each bell pepper in a serving bowl and serve with the sauce.