Recipe by sissylyne
November/December 2010 WW mag. TIps - Use soy sauce, roast turkey in hot oven to crisp skin till surface is sealed then reduce temp to cook, cover the turkey breast and top of drumsticks with foil when turkey is about 2/3rds done to not overcook those parts.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (12 -14 lb) turkey (thawed or fresh)
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 (10 ounce) package white mushrooms
- 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 small lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, stems discarded, caps sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- 1 Preheat oven to 450°F Spray large roasting pan and rack with nonstick spray.
- 2 Mix garlic, 1 tsp soy sauce. tsp oil, salt, and pepper. Remove neck and giblets from turkey cavities and discard. Drain turkey; pat dry, Slip your fingers under skin covering breast to create pockets over both breast halves and legs. Rub garlic mixture into meat under skin. Close cavities with metal skewers. Tuck wings under breast and tie legs with kitchen string.
- 3 Scatter onion and white mushrooms in roasting pan. Put turkey, breast side up on rack. Add I c broth to pan; roast 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F Roast until instant-read thermometer inserted 2 inches into inner thigh (without touching bone) registers 180°F 2 1/2-3 hours, Place turkey on cutting board. Tent with foil; let stand 20 minutes.
- 4 For gravy, scrape drippings from pan; strain through sieve set over bowl; discard onion and mushrooms. Let stand 5 minutes; skim off fat and discard (you should have 1/4 c), Whisk remaining 3/4 c broth, lemon juice, and flour until smooth. Stir flour mixture into drippings until blended, Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in large skillet. Add shiitake mushrooms and remaining 1 Tbsp soy sauce; cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add drippings mixture and thyme; cook. stirring, until gravy thickens slightly.
- 5 Remove string and carve turkey; serve with gravy. Remove skin before eating.
- Serving Size 1 1/2 oz slices skinless white meat and 1 1/2 skinless darkmeat with 1/4 cup gravey. SERVES 8 + LEFTOVERS - I guessed 12 servings for food.com data. WW data - 194 CAL, 5 G FAT,1G SATFAT,0 G TRANS FAT,73 MG CHOL, 386 MG SOD, 8 G CARB, 1 G FIB, 28 G PROT, 32 MG CALC. POINTS VALUE: 4.