Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A delicious easy version of stuffed peppers.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs 90% lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons dried basil (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup low fat mozzarella, shredded
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add ground meat, salt and pepper.
- When meat is browned, add garlic, onion, bell pepper and bay leaf.
- Cook 7-8 minutes, or until veggies are tender. Stir in chicken broth/stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice, return to boil, then lower heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; remove cover.
- Fold in basil.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Plate and top with cheese.
It is a little dry. There is something about the seasoning I don't care for. It may be the italian seasoning. IMO less of it would make it better I also used only two peppers instead of three.
This is great! I followed recipe except I used turkey and a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes and two fresh tomatoes I had in the refrigerator instead of the crushed tomatoes. I agree that it was even better the next day. Thanks for posting!
This was delicious! My 8 year old asked for seconds! Even better the next day.