Recipe by kendall603
This is a very chunky "sauce". It really is more like eggplant and meat with tomato chunks too... over pasta. I adapted a recipe that I had made many times before to fit with the Weight Watchers Core program. It turned out great and I thought I would share. It is really fabulous with crumbled low fat turkey or chicken sausage which is not core... I chose to spend a few points that way. But you could easily substitute 93% lean ground beef or turkey to make it 100% core.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 crushed fresh garlic cloves (to taste)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil
- 1 eggplant, cut very small with skin on
- 1 lb 93% fat free lean ground turkey or 1 lb ground beef
- whole wheat penne (or your favorite pasta)
Directions See How It's Made
- This comes together quickly. Start boiling your water for the pasta before cooking the sauce otherwise you'll be sitting around waiting for your pasta to be done.
- Brown ground turkey or beef in its own pan. Set aside.
- In new pan, add olive oil and cook crushed garlic. Add can of tomatoes & tomato paste. The tomato paste is just for thickness so add till you get your desired thickness. Add fresh basil.
- Turn down heat to simmer until sauce thickens a bit. Add ground beef/turkey and eggplant.
- Serve over whole wheat pasta.