Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
One of my all time favorites. You can do this in a chicken fry pan on top of the stove but the original recipe was in the oven. You can add mushrooms too.
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 2 green bell peppers, cut up
- 2 onions, cut up
- 1 -2 garlic clove (optional)
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (6 ounce) can water
- 2 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute, to taste
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 lb whole wheat spaghetti
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Put all into a baking dish, stir and cover.
- Bake 45 minute Uncover and stir.
- Continue to cook the veggies are to your liking and the chicken is cooked.
- Meanwhile, boil water for pasta and cook.
- Or nuke red or white potatoes.
Quite good. Like others, I did a couple things a bit different than the recipe. Notably, I used a teaspoon of natural sugar since I don't like artificial and I used about a cup of chicken broth instead of water. <br/>In a Dutch oven, I cooked the onions and red bell pepper in the oil then added the garlic for a minute. Then I cooked the chopped chicken breasts with them. Finally, I added a can of fire roasted tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients. They cooked 1 1/2 hours in a 325 degree oven. I put salt in with the onions at the beginning and didn't add any later. Also, don't forget to add a good bit of salt to your boiling water for the pasta since it tastes so much better.<br/><br/>My husband added grated Parmesan to his plate, but it was good without it, too. Overall, an excellent low effort meal.
Okay, I didn't have any tomato paste, only no-salt-added tomato sauce...I added a tsp of salt. I had to use stewed tomatoes instead of diced. I only had one green pepper and onion. Still it was an excellent dish! I can only imagine how much better it would've been, had I all the right ingredients. I look forward to trying this again. Thanks for sharing.