Recipe by LisaLisaB
This is a recipe I adapted from an old Cooking Light recipe from years ago. It comes out really yummy. My family loves it! I sometimes add more veggies to the sauce depending on what I have on hand and my husband likes to add a small piece of a jalapeno inside each of his chicken rolls.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 shallot
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup shredded fat free mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam spinach. I use the microwave. I put it in a microwave safe dish and cook with no added water for 3 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in skillet. Chop onion, shallots, and garlic and saute for a few minutes. Do not brown. Add in the 2 cans of tomatoes and the seasonings. Reserve half the oregano for the filling. Let that simmer while you make the filling.
- Filling: Mix the steamed spinach and the ricotta cheese and the rest of the oregano with the beaten egg till completely mixed together.
- Take the chicken and cut into thin slices horizontally so you have thin palm sized pieces to fill. Or you can buy "scallopini" already cut. Take a spoonful of filling and put in the middle and roll it up. Place the filled chicken rolls in a baking pan. Cover the rolls with the sauce and cook at 350 for 40 minutes.
- Optional - put a handful of shredded fat free mozzarella on during the last 5 minutes of cooking.