Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is another favorite healthier recipe of Jim's that I found on the net many years ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember the source. I can only tell you that it's a great quickie chile relleno casserole. As I've moved through my phases of healthy eating, I have moved from quite a bit of "fat free" things in favor of what I consider to be healthier (real!!) reduced fat. When I make this recipe these days, I used reduced fat cheese and sour cream. The choice is yours. Enjoy!
- 4 (4 1/4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 8 ounces fat free mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces fat-free cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces fat free sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8X8 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Mix the two cheeses together in a medium bowl. Place 1/2 of the chilies in the bottom of the dish and top with 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat the layers. Beat the sour cream, egg substitute and pepper together in a small bowl; pour over the top of the cheese and chilies. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until done in the middle and egg mixture is cooked through. If it starts to brown, cover loosely with foil so it doesn't get too brown. Let stand 3-4 minutes before cutting.