Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 2⁄3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, grated
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- To make chicken, in a large bowl, whisk together first seven ingredient. Add chicken breasts and toss to coat. Cover bowl and marinate for 1 hour and up to 24.
- Preheat outdoor grill, stovetop grill, or non-stick skillet.
- Skewer chicken pieces onto 4 metal or wooden skewers. Grill or cook skewers in a hot skillet for 5 to 7 minutes, until chicken is cooked through, turning frequently. (Make sure to soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent charring.).
- To make sauce, heat oil in a large, high-sided skillet (or wide saucepan) over medium heat. Add remaining minced garlic and jalapeno and cook 1 minute. Add remaining teaspoon of cumin and paprika and stir to coat. Add tomato sauce and evaporated milk, reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove grilled chicken from skewers add to tomato mixture and simmer 1 minute to heat through. Remove from heat and stir into cilantro. Serve with rice.
This was good, but not great. We thought it was a little bland even after I doubled the jalapeno and added a heaping tsp. of garam masala. However, I will try this again with a different combo of spices b/c I thought the consistency was perfect without added heavy cream. Thanks for a good spring board to a healthier version of my favorite Indian dish.